Wednesday 10 December 2008

Virtual Sketch Date - December


watercolour
30cm x 14cm


It's that time again. I always look forward to the Virtual Sketch Date, and this month was no exception. When I saw the reference picture I was a bit clueless, I thought "What am I going to do with this?" and really had no ideas. I started to play with various crops and started to enjoy it, and ended up doing two versions again. I think some (all) of my perspective on the buildings is a bit off but I've tried to disguise it! The really good thing about these monthly VSDs is they can move you out of your comfort zone, and I was well out of it on this one but ended up enjoying it. Thanks to all at Virtual Sketch Date, for posting the reference and doing the 'admin' stuff...


watercolour and pen & ink

27cm x 11.5 cm

12 comments:

Leslie Hawes said...

Hi Andy!
These are beautiful.
I agree with you about the VSD moving us happily out of the comfort zone. :)
The perspective created with the corn stalks in the field of the second painting really caught my eye. Very effective.

joanieART said...

Love the definition of all the trees at right on the top one. But oh, that tall crop, gorgeous!

carol edan said...

I love both of them but especially the cropped version...
Carol

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Andy the vertical cropping is really effective! I also tried various cropping, but none of them looked as good as yours.

Timeless River said...

Nice painting...I like the vertical crop too...gives a whole new feel..

Kathleen said...

Great job on both but the vertical version is really stunning

Sydney Harper said...

Very nice! I like both crops but the second one is my favorite. I woiuldn't have thought of that.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I think I like the second crop the best too - especially the sky and corn stalks. Nice job - and yes, this exercise does lift us out of our comfort zone.

Jan Pope said...

Nice job. Yes, VSD does move us out of our comfort zone. I try to use it as an excuse to try something new or a technique that I haven't used in a while.

Andy said...

Many thanks to all who've commented, much appreciated. :o)

Sandy said...

Well I love both renditions, beautifully done!

laura said...

And you did so much! I love the trees in both, especially the top one--they're so strong! Both versions are wonderful--a great example of what a difference format and cropping can make.