Saturday 28 February 2009

Virtual Sketch Date - February

'Lake Louise, Canada'
20.5cm x 25.5cm
Gouache on Paper

So it's Virtual Sketch Date time again :o) And a great image by Debbie Later . I really wanted to try something different with this so I cropped it quite extensively, used a restriced palette and added a fancy border/mount. I used gouache paints which I liked, I tried doing a watercolour but just couldn't get the effect I wanted, gouache did as it was told. The mount was a cheap plain one which I marbled at home (not done that for years, lotsa fun). I quite like the result.

The other artists interpretations will be listed on the Virtual Sketch Date site but you also see them on Flickr

6 comments:

Ann said...

This is a very handsome piece! I love the cool blue and graphic shapes.

Lynn said...

Wow! This is very eye-catching and unique! The border, too, is lovely and soft.

Gail Bartel said...

Awesome..love the restricted palette...unbelievable detail when I clicked on the picture to see larger. Feels like Lake Louise right before dawn.
I love the marbled border you did a great job!

Debbie Later said...

This is so seemingly simple yet I can tell that a lot of thought and skill went into it. Very nice job.

Andy said...

Thanks for your comments. I have to admit that this was a reference I didn't immediately warm to, although its a very beautiful picture. Me and landscapes weren't really made for each other. Thank you again :o)

Jack said...

Great article with that paintings, I had fun reading this! Fantastic..

--
Jack
Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments